Students whose career goals lie in directions other than physics have often expressed interest in physics and a wish for greater exposure than can be provided in the introductory physics courses. The following program requires a minimum of 14 semester credit hours of physics beyond the 10 credit hour introductory calculus based courses (Physics 1250-1251), along with the appropriate number of supporting math courses.
Physics Minor Prerequisites
- Physics 1250 - Introductory Physics I (5 hours)
- Physics 1251 - Introductory Physics II (5 hours)
Physics Minor Requirements
- Physics 2300 - Intermediate Mechanics I (4 hours, Au) Pre-req: Physics 1251
Choose two of the following lecture courses to take toward your physics minor.
- Physics 2301 - Intermediate Mechanics II (4 hours, Sp) Pre-req: Physics 2300
- Physics 5400 - Electromagnetism (4 hours, Sp) Pre-req: Physics 2301
- Physics 5400H - Honors Electromagnetism I (4 hours, Au) Pre-req: Physics 2301
- Physics 5401H - Honors Electromagnetism II (4 hours, Sp) Pre-req: Physics 5400H
- Physics 5500 - Quantum Mechanics (4 hours, Au) Pre-req: Physics 2301
- Physics 5500H - Honors Quantum Mechanics I (4 hours, Au) Pre-req Physics 2301
- Physics 5501 - Quantum Mechanics II (4 hours, Sp) Pre-req Physics 5500
- Physics 5501H - Honors Quantum Mechanics II (4 hours, Sp) Pre-req Physics 5500H
- Physics 3470 - Optics (3 hours, Sp) Pre-req: Physics 1251
- Physics 5300 - Theoretical Mechanics (4 hours, Sp) Pre-req: Physics 2301
- Physics 5600 - Statistical Physics (4 hours, Au) Pre-req: Physics 5500
- Physics 68xx - Special Topics (topics depends on instructor) (4 hours) Pre-req: Physics 5500
Choose one lab class from the following list:
- Physics 3700 - Data Analysis Lab (3 hours, Au, Sp, Su) requires advanced pre-enrollment.
- Physics 4700 - Electronics Lab (3 hours, Au, Sp) requires advanced pre-enrollment.
- Physics 3201H* - Holography (3 hours, Au)
- Physics 6810 - Computational Physics (4 hours, Sp)
* Can overlap with the Visual/Performing Arts GE category
The minimum mathematics needed to support this program is the three semester sequence of Calculus and Analytic Geometry: Math 1151, 1152, 2153 (or equivalent)
For additional information, or to enroll in the physics minor program, contact Lindsey Thaler.