Physics Department Scholarships and Awards
The Department of Physics offers academic and need-based scholarships. Scholarships are generally awarded during spring semester for the following summer or academic year.
Undergraduate Student Award and Scholarship Recipients
Visit the above page to see a list of recent physics award and scholarship recipients.
Physics Undergraduate Summer Research Program
The Department of Physics Undergraduate Summer Research Program supports undergraduate Physics and Engineering Physics majors pursuing research projects with an approved physics faculty member during the summer. The program runs 10 weeks, but may extend further depending on the availability of funds.
Valentino Physics Academic Achievement Scholarship
The Department of Physics awards the Valentino Physics Academic Achievement Scholarship to one incoming freshman planning to major in Physics or Engineering Physics at OSU. The award provides the recipient with a 4-year scholarship.
James L Smith Scholarship for Students with Financial Need
The Smith Scholarship was established in 2016 and is targeted toward physics and engineering physics majors who are in need of financial assistance to cover college-related expenses. Thank you to the donor, Dr. James (Jim) Smith, a 1964 graduate of the physics program, for making this scholarship possible.
Scholarships for Engineering Undergraduates
Students who are enrolled in the College of Engineering (this includes Engineering Physics majors) are eligible to apply to many of the academic based or financial need based scholarships offered by the college. For more information, visit the College of Engineering Scholarship Webpage.
Scholarships and Grants for Arts & Sciences Undergraduates
Students majoring in one of the programs offered by the College of Arts & Sciences may apply for scholarships and grants offered by college. A list of available funding opportunities can be found on the College of Arts & Sciences Webpage.
OSU Research Scholarships & Programs
Ohio State offers a variety of summer research programs and funding for those who are interested in working over the summer.
- The Department of Physics Summer Research Program is open to current OSU physics and engineering physics majors. This program is 10 weeks during the summer and requires at least 30 hours of research per week. The application is available January-March.
- The OSU Undergraduate Research Program in Astrophysics is managed by the Department of Astronomy and is primarily for juniors interested in graduate study in astrophysics, although exceptional sophomores may be considered. Applications are available January-February.
- OSU Center for Emergent Materials (CEM) Summer Research Program is open to all students to apply. Application deadline is February 15.
- Stone Lab's Research Experience for Undergraduates
- OSU College of Engineering Summer Research Scholarship (open to Engineering students, including Engineering Physics majors)
- Arts and Sciences Research Scholarships (open to all Arts and Sciences students, including Physics majors)
- Funding from OSU's Undergraduate Research Office available for all students to apply
Summer Research Opportunity Search Engine
If you're looking for a list of physics summer research opportunities, check out pathwaystoscience.com which can help you with your search.
Society of Physics Students Scholarships
The Society of Physics Students (SPS) offers a number of scholarships for undergraduate physics students.
The Science, Mathematics And Research for Transformation (SMART) Scholarship for Service Program is an opportunity for students pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) disciplines to receive a full scholarship and be gainfully employed upon degree completion.
APS Scholarship for Minority Undergraduate Physics Majors
Any African-American, Hispanic American, or Native American U.S. citizen or permanent resident who is majoring or planning to major in physics, and who is a high school senior, college freshman, or sophomore is eligible to apply.
Barbara Lotze Scholarships for Future Teachers
The Barbara Lotze Scholarships are available only to US citizens attending US schools. Undergraduate students enrolled, or planning to enroll, in physics teacher preparation curricula and high school seniors entering such programs are eligible.
Search for scholarships and resources for undergraduate physics majors.