FAQ and Code of Conduct

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I am a prospective student and I am interested in speaking with someone in the Department of Physics about the undergraduate physics program.  How do I go about scheduling an appointment?
A: Thanks for your interest in OSU Physics! To schedule a meeting, head over to the Information for New Students page and fill out an online visit request form.  Someone from the department will then get in touch with you to arrange a meeting.

Q: What are the physics controlled access courses and how do I schedule them?
A: The following courses are controlled access, which means students are unable to schedule these courses themselves: Physics 3700 (Data Analysis Lab), Physics 4700 (Electronics Lab), Physics 5700/5710 (Senior Lab).  Enrollment directions and additional information can be found on the Controlled Access Course Information Page.

Q: I took a class at a different university over the summer and I'd like to have that credit posted to my OSU record.  Who do I send my transcript to?
A: To get this credit posted to your OSU record, please follow the instructions on the Registrar's Office website. Please do not send your transcript to an academic advisor because they do not have the authority to process it. Your academic advisor can, however, talk to you about how this transfer credit applies to your major or GE requirements.

Q: If I drop a class, is it okay if it puts me below full time status?
A: It depends on your financial aid package.  Some scholarships and grants require students to be full time (12 credit hours or more) in order to receive aid.  Other scholarships require that a student is full time on average.  Your health insurance may also require you to be a full time student.  Academic advisors do not have access to financial aid records, so in order to check if dropping below 12 credit hours will affect you, please contact the BuckeyeLink Student Services Center.

Q: How can I see a list of upcoming events and deadlines for physics students?
A: The undergraduate studies office has created a Google Calendar that shows events and deadlines that physics and engineering physics majors should be aware of.  This includes physics social events, registration deadlines, holidays, physics colloquiums, career fairs, and more.  Students in the program also have access to the Physics Carmen page which also lists events and deadlines.

Q: I have physics transfer credit that needs evaluated.  Who should I speak to about this?
A: Please contact Dr. Mike Ziegler, the physics transfer credit evaluator.  Additional information about this can be found on the Physics Transfer Credit page.

Q: How do I obtain an unofficial transcript?
A: An unofficial transcript is called an Advising Report. To obtain a copy of your advising report, go to Buckeye Link, sign in to your Buckeye Link account and click on the "Generate Advising Report" link.  You can save your advising report as a .pdf file and then email or print it.

Q: How do I order an official transcript?
A: Official transcripts can only be ordered through the Office of the University Registrar.  Please note that academic advisors do not have access to official transcripts.

Q: What career opportunities exist with a degree in physics or engineering physics?
A: Good question!  Someone with a bachelors degree in physics or engineering physics can pursue a technical career at a research laboratory, engineering company, or air force base.  Graduates can also pursue non-technical careers in law, business, education, or medicine.  Please visit our physics career page for additional information.


Department of Physics Code of Conduct

Code of Conduct