We are a top-25 Physics Department with 60 faculty members and a history of research excellence. We have undergone an aggressive expansion over the past ten years (a new Physics Research Building, 17 new faculty members, and a 70% increase in research funding) focused on emerging areas of physics research.
* Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics: high energy density physics, ultrafast (attosecond) optical interactions, terahertz spectroscopy
* Biophysics: molecular mechanics, dynamics and folding, sequence alignment, medical imaging
* Condensed Matter Physics: nanomagnetism, organic electronics/magnetics, atomic manipulation, complex oxides, correlated electron systems, interface physics, terahertz physics
* Cold Atom Physics: theory of many-body systems consisting of extremely cold trapped atoms
* High Energy Physics: string theory, supersymmetry, quantum gravity, experiments at CERN, FNAL
* Nuclear Physics: relativistic heavy ion physics, quantum chromodynamics, boson interferometry, quark-gluon plasma, color glass condensate, miniature black holes, experiments at CERN and RHIC
* Physics Education: measurement of scientific reasoning ability and conceptual understanding of physics content, quantitative models of learning and assessment, cognitive origins of student difficulties
Our students and faculty also play central roles in three interdisciplinary research centers that are headquartered in the OSU Physics Research Building:
Visiting the Department
Students that receive an offer of admission will have an opportunity to visit our department during our Open House in the spring (generally in March).
Prior to applying to our graduate program, we encourage visits to our department but respectfully request that you make an appointment first to ensure our availability. We would prefer to avoid visits in December and January. These months are among the busiest for the Graduate Studies Office and many of our faculty and students, as well as staff, schedule time away for the holidays. Please contact us directly about scheduling a self guided visit by emailing email@example.com. We will do our best to accommodate all requests.