The Ohio State University Department of Physics is pleased to announce the 2018 Undergraduate Summer Research Program. The program features the following scholarships:
- Robert P. Caren Family Endowment Fund
- The Captain Forrest R. Biard Undergraduate Research Scholarship Fund in Physics
- Grilly Scholarship Fund in Physics
These scholarships will support undergraduate students pursuing research projects with an approved physics faculty sponsor during the summer of 2018. Each scholarship will provide a wage package worth $3,500 in compensation for research work performed under the supervision of a supporting OSU Physics faculty member.
Students who are selected to participate in this research program will:
- Conduct summer undergraduate research under the supervision of a physics faculty member pursuing a research project of mutal iterest to the faculty and student.
- Discuss your research with others at the end of the program and at the 2018 Fall Forum hosted by the OSU Undergraduate Research Office.
- Monthly luncheons for the summer research scholars and thier mentor/advisors. Dates of luncheons to be announced later.
- Have the option to attend professional development activities including the following:
- Graduate and Professional Student Panel
- Resume and Cover Letter Workshop
- Steps to Publishing Undergraduate Research
- Personal Statements Workshop
- What Can I do with a Ph.D.?
Award Details and Requirements
Winners of the scholarship:
- Will receive a summer scholarship worth $3,500. All funds will be posted through financial aid.
- Will conduct research under the supervision of a Physics faculty member pursuing a research project of mutual interest to the faculty and student.
- Will devote approximately 30 hours per week starting May 14, 2018 and ending July 20, 2018. Vacation time is NOT included or expected during this time frame. If you think you will be taking a vacation, plan for either before the start or after the end of the scholarship dates.
- Must participate in the Summer Undergraduate Research Institute 2018 Fall Forum and in the Summer Research Scholarship program’s summary session at the end of the program.
- Attend the program's monthly lunches - these are not optional.
In order to be eligible for the scholarship program, applicants must...
- Be a current OSU student enrolled in the Physics or Engineering Physics major
- Be in good academic standing at the university (overall GPA at least a 2.0)
- Have found a physics professor to work with during the summer of 2018 at the time of submitting an application and abstract for the scholarship
- Be able to work in a research group at least 30 hours per week during the program dates (May 14-July 20)
A complete application will include:
- A complete application form from the student
- A short abstract (1-2 page) of the proposed project written by the student
- A complete faculty endorsement form from the Physics faculty research sponsor. This is located on the last page of the application form.
- A letter of support from the Physics faculty research sponsor
Send all application materials to:
OSU Department of Physics
1040K Physics Research Building
191 W. Woodruff Avenue
Columbus, OH 43210
Application deadline is 5pm Monday March 26, 2018. Late applications will not be accepted for any reason.
For further information, please contact Robin Patterson.
[PDF] - Some links on this page are to .pdf files. These are designated by [PDF] following the link. PDF files require the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader software to open them. If you do not have Reader, you may use the following link to Adobe to download it for free at: Adobe Acrobat Reader