The Climate and Diversity Committee will help the Department foster and sustain a diverse community of scholars and staff. The Committee also will help to ensure that the Department maintains a professional work environment that encourages respectful interchange between all members regardless of background or career status.
The Climate and Diversity Committee will identify departmental, university, or other resources or activities that could be applied to enhance the professional climate of the Physics Department. The Committee will work to identify challenges caused by policies or practices that might detract from diversity or climate, and recommend changes. Importantly, the Committee and its members will provide a resource for all members of the Department when challenges arise by providing a forum to ensure that their concerns are heard, connecting affected individuals with appropriate support networks, and advocating for structural changes where appropriate.
- Consider speakers that would be beneficial for the department
- Consider trainings that could be beneficial to the faculty, staff and students of the department
- Meeting with the External Review Committee to discuss the activities of the committee. For this meeting, prepare several slides that summarize the activities of the committee. Show a draft set of slides at the Sept 13th Faculty Meeting for feedback.
- Comment on the modified “APS Meeting Code of Conduct” description
- Bring a revised “Graduate Student Rights and Responsibilities” back to stakeholders for comment with the goal of endorsement.
- Make recommendations for best practices for faculty searches to help ensure inclusiveness.
- Make reports on committee progress in faculty and staff meetings